ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm.

AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 7 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Business Operations and Partnerships Department
Director of Business Operations & Partnerships: Louise Pringle
Council Headquarters, Eastwood Park, Giffnock, East Renfrewshire, G46 6UG
Phone: 0141 577 3000
Date: 22 September 2022
When calling please ask for: Linda Hutchison (Tel. No 0141 577 8388)
e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

TO: Councillor Andrew Morrison (Chair), Tony Buchanan (Vice-Chair), Provost Mary
Montague and Councillors Paul Edlin, Annette Ireland, David Macdonald and Gordon
Wallace.

AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE
A meeting of the Audit and Scrutiny Committee will be held in the Council Chamber, Council Headquarters, Eastwood Park, Giffnock, on Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm.

The agenda of business is as listed below.

Yours faithfully
Louise Pringle
L PRINGLE
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS OPERATIONS & PARTNERSHIPS
AGENDA

1. Report apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of interest.
3. Chair’s Report.

4. Clarification Received on Queries Raised at Previous Meeting – Report by Clerk
(copy attached, pages 3 - 6).

5. Managing Absence – Annual Report – Report by Director of Business Operations
and Partnerships (copy attached, pages 7 - 14).

6. National Fraud Initiative – Update – Report by Director of Business Operations
and Partnerships (copy attached, pages 15 - 18).

7. Managing the Risk of Fraud and Corruption – Fraud Response Statement 2021/22
(Including Audit Scotland Fraud and Irregularity Report 2021/22) - Report by
Chief Executive (copy attached, pages 19 - 26).

8. Strategic Risk Register and Risk Management Progress - Biannual Report -
Report by Chief Executive (copy attached, pages 27 - 50).

9. Local External Audit Report – East Renfrewshire Council Management Report
2021/22 – Review of Internal Controls in Financial Systems - Report by External
Auditor (copy attached, pages 51 - 60).

10. National External Audit Report – Local Government in Scotland Overview 2022 -
Report by Clerk (copy attached, pages 61 - 76).

For information on how to access the virtual meeting please email:-

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

A recording of the meeting will also be available following the meeting on the Council’s YouTube Channel

www.youtube.com/user/eastrenfrewshire/videos

This document can be explained to you in other languages and can be provided in
alternative formats such as large print and Braille. For further information, please contact Customer First on 0141 577 3001 or email

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 7 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
You can view recording of meeting on Council youtube channel here -

www.youtube.com/user/eastrenfrewshire/videos

You can read Agenda/Papers for meeting from Council Website here -

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/audit-and-scrutiny-committee-290922

Re: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 7 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Saturday, 1 Oct, 2022 At 10:57
Subject: Recording Audit & Scrutiny Meeting Thursday 29 september 2022

Hi Linda

Recording Audit & Scrutiny Meeting Thursday 29 september 2022

At 13:06 and 19:18, 39:08 into recording could not hear or make out what Provost Montague said.

At 13:06 Chair Cllr Morrison said 'you're load and clear' unfortunately that is not the case for those watching the recording as Provost Montague was muffled and inaudable.

Would appreciate if you can provide transcript.

At 20:28 into into recording could not hear or make out what Cllr Buchanan said - muffled and inaudable.

As Cllr Buchanan's comments would appear to have been somewhat controversial as indicated by Cllr Wallace it is important that we know what was said.

Would appreciate if you can provide transcript.

I had the video volume and PC volume turned up at 100%.

Your help in providing these transcripts is appreciated.

Thanks

Above was also copied to Committee Chair Cllr Andrew Morrison who has replied -

From: "Morrison, Andrew (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Hutchison, Linda" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Saturday, 1 Oct, 2022 At 12:46
Subject: RE: Recording Audit & Scrutiny Meeting Thursday 29 september 2022

I should add the audio within the Chamber was sufficient to hear what was being said by online participants (hence why Councillors and Officers attending the meeting were able to respond to those individuals online).

I see that you have already emailed the Clerk to the Committee so perhaps the technical side of capturing the audio from online participants for the online recording can be looked at by the relevant person.

The Audit & Scrutiny function of the Council is very important, and I believe it is important our residents can observe proceedings and adequately hear what is being said.

Kind regards,

Cllr Andrew Morrison
Newton Mearns North & Neilston, Ward 2
Scottish Conservative & ist Party

Re: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 6 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Hutchison, Linda" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Oct, 2022 At 10:55
Subject: Re: Recording Audit & Scrutiny Meeting Thursday 29 september 2022

I have reviewed the sections of the recording you highlighted on the YouTube Channel, not only on my Council laptop but also on a personal device.

I was able to hear the discussions on both, but it was louder on my personal device and even louder still when I used headphones.

This has led me to conclude that the quality of the speaker on the device on which the recording is listened to can be a factor that impacts on the sound quality experienced by the listener.

Regarding your request for a transcript, you will be able to view this by activating the closed caption option (marked as "cc") in a small box at the top right-hand side of the screen of the YouTube recording.

These captions are not added by members of the Democratic Services Team, but rather generated automatically based on the contributions made to discussions by those attending meetings.

To complement this, a Minute of the Meeting summarising the discussions will be prepared and made available when it is submitted to the full Council in due course.

For your information, Elected Members were made aware, at the start of September, that the microphones built into laptops used by external participants to joint meetings are not particularly sensitive; that they work less well for hybrid meetings compared to full Teams meetings; and that the quality of the internet connection used will also have an impact.

Those participating in hybrid meetings remotely have therefore been requested to use a headset with attached microphone, and made aware that this should improve the audio quality being experienced in the Chamber, and help eliminate any background noise that may be picked up through laptop microphones.

Yours sincerely

Linda Hutchison

To: "Hutchison, Linda" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Oct, 2022 At 13:10
Subject: Re: Recording Audit & Scrutiny Meeting Thursday 29 september 2022

Hi Linda

Thanks for this and for the help regarding the transcript.

I have a quality laptop !

The closed caption option (marked as "cc") you describe, is on the bottom right of my video between the autoplay and settings icons and marked Subtitles/closed captions (c).

But is does work !

I only have trouble with the volume of 'remote' speakers with the volume being quiet, muffled and inaudable. Using quality headphones does not alter and/or improve this.

I have no problem with the volume on any other videos, only these Council recordings with 'remote' speakers and indeed have to turn the volume down when members in the chamber are talking.

Hopefully, the audio quality of 'remote' speakers can be improved as you indicate and look forward to this being the case.

Again, your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 6 months ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News On Line

New report lifts the lid on sickness rates at East Renfrewshire Council
11th October

By Drew Sandelands
Local Democracy Reporter

Concerns have been raised over rising levels of staff absence at East Renfrewshire Council.

Figures show an average of 12.33 sick days per council employee [full-time equivalent] in 2021/22 – up from 10.16 days in 2020/21.

For teachers, sick days rose to 4.14 days per FTE in the last financial year compared to 3.61 days in 2020/21, a report to the council’s audit and scrutiny committee revealed.

Councillor Gordon Wallace, of the Scottish Conservatives, asked how much absenteeism is costing the local authority.

He said: “I just feel that we seem to, year on year, be making excuses without actually getting to the bottom of what the problems are and what we can do to tackle it.”

However, Councillor Tony Buchanan, of the SNP, accused Councillor Wallace of “attacks” on staff for being ill.

“I think our staff do a fantastic job in very difficult circumstances, as does anyone who works across the public sector,” he said.

The report shows the top three reasons for absence were non-work related stress, musculoskeletal issues, such as back pain, and gastrointestinal disorders.

A council official added: “We have seen over the last 12 months some really complex, difficult matters that our staff have been going through in terms of serious health conditions, social economic issues, substance abuse and personal tragedies.

"Support has been provided to ensure cases are managed correctly and in line with policy.”

The report stated that Covid absence in 2020/21 was not counted as part of sickness and it was expected that absence would be higher in 2021/22, considering the number of employees affected by the virus.

Analysis showed that staff who carry out frontline services have higher levels of absence.

Councillor Wallace said: “When I think of the council tax payers out there, the people who are actually paying for this absenteeism, I’m really asking on their behalf as to why it’s a particular problem in East Renfrewshire or indeed the public sector.”

The report shows absence is “consistently higher within the public sector in comparison to the private sector and has been consistently since 1995.”

The council official said: “The Office of National Statistics confirms that this can be attributed to the differences in job roles and that, within the private sector, it is more likely that employees will not be paid occupational sick pay in comparison to public sector workers.”

She added that East Renfrewshire has an “ageing workforce” which can attribute to absence levels.

The official agreed to report the cost of staff absences to a future meeting of the committee.

Conservative councillor Paul Edlin also said he had “concerns that the absence level at the council may be higher than we would like it to be.”

However, Councillor Buchanan said: “It’s good to see that some things never change and we still face the usual attacks on our staff for having been off sick. Indeed, complaints about them actually being paid while they are off sick.

“Given the work that our staff have done, particularly through the pandemic, still delivering services, then I think the figures don’t actually look too bad."

Re: AUDIT AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE Meeting(Council Chamber) - Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 2.00pm. 1 year, 6 months ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
12/10/2022

Published Barrhead News On Line

East Renfrewshire: Gordon Wallace calls for independence to be added to risk register
1 hr ago

By Drew Sandelands
Local Democracy Reporter

A CONSERVATIVE councillor has asked for Scottish independence to be added to East Renfrewshire’s risk register.

Gordon Wallace made the request as the Scottish Government is proposing to hold a referendum in October next year.

East Renfrewshire Council’s register sets out key strategic risks to be considered by the local authority – and the Giffnock and Thornliebank councillor believes the possibility of independence should be added to the list.

A council official said the “risk of independence is measured in the horizon scanning” – issues that are kept under review by the council’s corporate management team [CMT] but not added to the register.

But, speaking at a recent audit and scrutiny committee meeting, Councillor Wallace commented: “When you say ‘horizon scanning,’ from what I can understand there’s going to be an independence referendum next year. That’s what our Scottish Government is telling us.

“Is that not something that we feel should be on our risk register, be it low, medium, high risk?”

The council official replied: “As I understand, the CMT keeps all risks under review and, if such a risk were to materialise, it would be included at this point.”

There are currently 38 risks on the register, with eight evaluated as ‘high.’ These include ensuring there are enough school catchment places for children in light of new housing developments and “significant pressure” on capital projects due to growing costs and supply chain issues as a result of Covid, Brexit and the war in Ukraine.

One risk – the inability to continue to deliver 1,140 hours of free early learning and childcare – has been moved up to high from medium, due to “increased likelihood.”

A council report states: “This is linked to the continuing challenges around the documented revenue shortfall for the delivery of the statutory entitlement in the context of the wider savings required."

The council has estimated it currently faces a £30million funding shortfall for the next financial year.

This is the first time ‘horizon scanning’ has been included in a report on the risk register, following a suggestion from Audit Scotland.

The report adds: “Horizon scanning information is therefore included in this report to provide a high level overview of areas which are currently being considered but have not, as yet, resulted in a risk being added to the strategic risk register.”

As well as the Scottish Government’s intention to introduce a referendum bill, issues on the horizon include the National Care Service bill and changes to the Scottish Child Payment.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds