Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #13

• Alan Henderson
This so called independent committee was set up by the "establishment" and filled with "establishment" bodies and the person in charge is a "Sir"(on £700.00 a day).
It is likened to the way bankers of one group would "advise" on the pay scale of another groups salary i.e. with a nod and a wink. How many ordinary working people were on this committee.
All the professional people they try to evaluate the MPs pay with, spend many years gaining the correct qualifications. With MPs, the only qualification is that your face fits and you are a party lackey. Our one definitely fits that bill.

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #14

Alan, so would you prefer the First Minister telling MSPs, even ones who are not a member of his party that they're not getting a pay rise - cos he says so irrespective of whether he has got the power to say so. Interesting!

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #15

• Phil
@Gordon Alan never mentioned MSP's so why are you adding them to the equation. They have nothing to do with this and they only get £53,000 a year any way.

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #16

• Gloria
Gordon McCaskill wrote:
Sax, I rather suspected that my position would cause some disquiet. However, put yourself in the position of a job applicant with the following job specifications:-

1. You will be require to re-apply for your job every five years with no guarantee of re-employment.

2. You will be expected to stay away from your family for 4 days every week staying in either a hotel or rented accomodation.

3. You may be recalled from a family holiday at very short notice.

4. Your working hours will include very late nights at no notice and may include being removed from a hospital bed to attend work at no notice.

5. You are very likely to suffer from personal abuse by both public and media, assault, threats to your family, stabbing or other physical perils at any time.

6. This job will be and is utterly thankless.

Now, Sax, how much would you want paid for a job like that?

Gordon - Good to have you back but please stop and think about each of the above and then think of Lee Rigby. He was on 25,000 a year.

1. Tick
2. 6 months away and live in a tent.
3. Tick
4. Tick
5. Tick and Death.
6. Tick

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #17

• Billy
Cllr McCaskill

The House of Commons sits for around 150 days a year, according to parliament's website. This excludes half-terms, a six-week break in the summer, two fortnight breaks at Easter and Christmas and three weeks off while MPs attend party conferences.

According to figures from the Commons library, MPs sat for 296 days between May 2010 and May 2012 . But over a 24-month period in 2006 to 2008, the Commons sat for 304 days. By comparison this year, the Commons is expected to sit for fewer than 140 days. The government could suspend parliament as early as Thursday, and not later than 29 April, before returning on 8 May for the Queen's speech.

Last year, the House of Commons sat on average for about 7 hours and 57 minutes a day.

Four days a week - No
Hotel or rented - NO bought and paid for by us and their pals share with them.
How many times has parliament been recalled during summer recess?
Work late at night - yeah in the subsidised bars of Westminster.
How many MPs have been stabbed?

Re: MPs' Free Dinners Axed In Commons Shake-Up 10 years, 9 months ago #18

• Stewart
I hate to think I am defending Gordon as he's big enough and etc. but if it was such a brilliant job, why doesn't everyone want it.

The one thing that bothers me is these are the guys who are supposedly running out country, running the treasury, NHS, the list is endless and the one poster who made a valid point, OK it may have been in fun, is Grizzly.
Why do footballers get £200,000 A WEEK to kick a ball and our legislators get £66K A YEAR, admittedly plus expenses.

And Phil, MSP's salary is linked to MP's therefore they will get a corresponding pay increase in line with MP's. I could stand corrested but I thing MSP's get 80% of an MP's salary.

But Alan does have a valid point about the London establishment but does he honestly believe there is not a fully fledged and working establishment in Edinburgh
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds