ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ?

New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News On Line 8/5/2020-

News

2 hrs ago

New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll

By Tristan Stewart-Robertson @srtristan Chief Reporter

COUNCIL chiefs hope to create temporary cycle lanes and walkways in East Renfrewshire to encourage people to exercise as the coronavirus crisis leaves them facing a 'new normal.'

The Scottish Government has launched a new £10million Spaces for People fund to help residents maintain social distancing while out and about.

And East Renfrewshire Council has confirmed it has registered with the scheme in a bid to secure a share of the cash.

A council spokeswoman told the Barrhead News: "We have registered interest in the Scottish Government's Spaces for People initiative and, in line with government guidance, will be assessing measures across the authority to help residents social distance safely while undertaking essential trips and exercise.

"Once measures have been agreed, they will be implemented over the coming weeks to help mitigate virus transmission."

The new fund has been launched in response to a large increase in walking and cycling since the coronavirus lockdown began, with latest figures showing journeys by bicycle are up by 35 per cent on the weekly average, while walking has also increased significantly.

Scottish transport secretary Michael Matheson has stressed that capacity on public transport will have to be reduced as long as social distancing measures are in place, at between 10 and 25 per cent of previous levels.

The Spaces for People fund will be used to reallocate road space for active travel such as cycling and walking, while some routes may be reclassified.

Mr Matheson has written to all Scottish councils to give details of how the Spaces for People initiative will work.

He said: "I'm pleased we are able to put forward a package of support for our local authorities to implement temporary active travel measures, helping to ensure that people can walk, cycle and wheel during this public health emergency whilst physically distancing and keeping safe from traffic.

"Our communities need this support quickly, especially with the welcome increases in cycling we are seeing across the country.

"At the same time, almost every journey starts and ends on our pavements in some way, so it is vitally important that people can physically distance for those essential trips or for exercise."

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllrs Alan Lafferty, Annette Ireland, David MacDonald and Stewart Miller were asked to give their views/comments and

- how will you ensure that your constituents benefit from this spend and that money is spent on cycle lanes and walkways in your constituency?

Cllr Miller is the only Cllr to eventually respond.

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Friday, 8 May, 2020 At 12:07
Subject: ERC and new £10million Spaces for People fund

Hi

I refer to the article below and would appreciate if you can give the requested info.

How much money are East Renfrewshire Council to get?

How will you ensure that your constituents benefit from this spend and that money is spent on cycle lanes and walkways in your constituency?

Who are the 'Council Chiefs'?

'COUNCIL chiefs hope to create temporary cycle lanes and walkways in East Renfrewshire to encourage people to exercise as the coronavirus crisis leaves them facing a 'new normal.''

Who is the council spokeswoman involved with this?

Who will be 'assessing measures'

How will they be 'assessing measures'

Who will be agreeing these ' measures'

How will they be implementing these 'measures'

'A council spokeswoman told the Barrhead News: "We have registered interest in the Scottish Government's Spaces for People initiative and, in line with government guidance, will be assessing measures across the authority to help residents social distance safely while undertaking essential trips and exercise.

"Once measures have been agreed, they will be implemented over the coming weeks to help mitigate virus transmission." '

Thanks

To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Tuesday, 12 May, 2020 At 14:44
Subject: Re: ERC and new £10million Spaces for People fund

Hi Stewart

Would appreciate courtesy of reply with requested information.

Who are the 'Council Chiefs'? should read -

As the Chief Executive is in charge of all decisions, Who are the 'Council Chiefs'?

How much money are East Renfrewshire Council to get?

How will you ensure that your constituents benefit from this spend and that money is spent on cycle lanes and walkways in your constituency?

Who is the council spokeswoman involved with this?

Who will be 'assessing measures'

How will they be 'assessing measures'

Who will be agreeing these ' measures'

How will they be implementing these 'measures'

Thanks

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 3:33:12 PM
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

Hi Stewart

'to help residents social distance safely while undertaking essential trips and exercise.'

Would appreciate the courtesy of a response to below.

Thanks

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 19 May, 2020 At 09:33

Dear Sir

Many thanks for your correspondence and I hope this finds you well

As you are well aware, I told you several weeks ago that I wouldn't respond to your emails with the reasons being that I couldn't trust you to keep private emails private

But on the question below, I am prepared to answer because there have been a big number of people who have sent template emails asking the same question

The Scottish government announced a few weeks ago that they would set up a fund of £10m to encourage councils to alter roads to suit an increasing number of walkers and cyclists.

I raised this at our weekly leaders meeting and we agreed that the roads dept should look at our road network and try to find parts where we could apply for a share of this grant funding

Since then, staff have been working to identify suitable roads that would help to make a difference

Also, two weeks ago, the Westminster government announced a package of funding for England and Wales and,under the terms of the Barnett consequentials, I am hoping more money will come from Westminster to Holyrood and then on to local councils to help make roads and pavements safer for walkers and cyclists

Regards
Stewart
Sent from Outlook Mobile

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr Miller states in his response above -

'As you are well aware, I told you several weeks ago that I wouldn't respond to your emails with the reasons being that I couldn't trust you to keep private emails private'

I do not consider these 'private' emails.

Cllr Miller was asked views/opinion/comments on general run of the mill Council/Constituency subjects and/or matters covering -

Council Tax/Rent rises,
The Eastwood Park Leisure Centre Masterplan,
The Draft Local Policing Plan,
Eastwood Park/Leisure Centre Black Ice Problem,
Linwood Ave Closure regarding Year long Scottish Water work,
etc.

Hardly state secrets requiring the introduction of this Censorship.

A further topic concerning this censorship to be posted soon.

Re: New fund will encourage residents across East Renfrewshire to get on their bike or take a stroll ? 3 years, 11 months ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 19 May, 2020 At 13:08
Subject: RE: ERC and new £10million Spaces for People fund

Good Afternoon

Further to your email regarding the Scottish Government’s £10 Million fund, I would confirm that East Renfrewshire Council has registered interest in the initiative and is assessing measures across the authority to help residents socially distance safely while undertaking essential trips and exercise.

As soon as I have further information on what measures will be implemented then I will be, of course, be sharing this with local residents.

In the meantime, if you have any specific physical distancing concerns or issues that you feel require immediate attention can you please let me know and I will pass this onto the Environment Department.

Regards

Cllr Annette Ireland (SNP)
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG
Phone: 0141 577 3107/3143
Mobile: 07388 859265
e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds