Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: "Daly, Eamonn" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 13 May, 2020 At 18:24
Subject: RE: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access

Hi Eamonn

Thanks for this.

I am well.

Normal is that there is normally public access to committee meetings via the Public Gallery.

This access is being denied and the meeting held in 'secret'.

It is disappointing that ERC is lagging behind councils such as Renfrewshire regarding this technology.

I can still access and view the Renfrewshire Council site/videos

www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/10204/Emergencies-Board

It is not as if you and ERC have not been aware of this video technology.

It has been raised for use by Committees by Councillors/Residents many times over the past 2-3 years.

Again, it is disappointing that when it is actually needed and would be advantageous, there has been a distinct lack of foresight.

On the 14th May 2020 the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting to discuss the return of full council and committee meetings allowing Councillors to take up their roles once again to scrutinise Council policies and decision making.

All meetings held will be virtual meetings until government guidance dictates otherwise.

I would appreciate if you will raise the matter of public access to these proposed 'virtual' meetings of

•Planning Applications Committee 10 June

•Education Committee – 11 June

•Council – 24 June

•Audit & Scrutiny Committee – 25 June

Would appreciate that you confirm that these meetings will be available 'live' (and for subsequent viewing) for East Renfrewshire Residents/Council Tax Payers on the current Council webcast platform and/or the current available video platforms as used by other councils such as Renfrewshire Council.

Keep well.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #8

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Thursday, 14 May, 2020 At 12:13
Subject: Meeting 2:00pm today - would appreciate reply - Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access to 'virtual' committee meetings

Hi Stewart

As the meeting is due to start at 2:00pm would appreciate reply.

Thanks

To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Tuesday, 12 May, 2020 At 17:12
Subject: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access to 'virtual' committee meetings

Hi Stewart

I understand that on the 14th May 2020 the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting to discuss the return of full council and committee meetings allowing Councillors to take up their roles once again to scrutinise Council policies and decision making.

All meetings held will be virtual meetings until government guidance dictates otherwise.

As my Councillor and as you are a member of the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee I would appreciate if you will raise the matter of public access to these proposed 'virtual' meetings of

•Council – 24 June

Would appreciate that you confirm that these meetings will be available 'live' (and for subsequent viewing) for East Renfrewshire Residents/Council Tax Payers on the current Council webcast platform and/or the current available video platforms as used by other councils such as Renfrewshire Council.

You can view Renfrewshire Council Emergency meetings here -

Keep well.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #9

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: Wednesday, 13 May, 2020 At 11:25
Subject: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access to 'virtual' committee meetings

Hi Annette

I understand that on the 14th May 2020 the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee  will be meeting to discuss the return of full  council and committee  meetings allowing Councillors to take up their  roles once again to  scrutinise Council policies and decision making.

All  meetings  held  will  be  virtual  meetings  until  government  guidance dictates otherwise.

As my Councillor I would appreciate if you will raise the matter of public access to these proposed 'virtual' meetings of

•Planning Applications Committee  10 June

•Council –   24 June

You can view Renfrewshire Council Emergency meetings here -

Keep well.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #10

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 13 May, 2020 At 13:35
Subject: Privacy and your response.

Hi Annette

Thanks for yet another privacy statement email.

I have done you the courtesy of reading your privacy statements.

Would appreciate if you can return the same courtesy and acknowledge/reply to my email requests.

Thanks

From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 13 May, 2020 At 11:31
Subject: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL: AUTO RESPONSE FROM COUNCILLOR ANNETTE IRELAND - Please Read Attached Privacy Statement

Please do not reply to this message.

Thank you for your e-mail. If you are a constituent and are emailing me regarding an enquiry or issue you are experiencing, please read my privacy statement which explains how I will process your personal data in relation to your enquiry.

Councillor Annette Ireland
SNP Councillor Ward 4: Clarkston, Netherlee and Williamwood

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #11

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Ireland, A (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 14 May, 2020 At 14:04
Subject: RE: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access

Good Afternoon

As you are aware, East Renfrewshire Council ensure that they webcast all full council meetings and as this is a meeting of the Emergencies Committee it will therefore not be webcast.

Regards
Cllr Annette Ireland (SNP)
Ward No. 4 Clarkston, Netherlee & Williamwood
East Renfrewshire Council Headquarters,
Eastwood Park, Rouken Glen Road, Giffnock G46 6UG
Phone: 0141 577 3107/3143
Mobile: 07388 859265
e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Sent: Thursday, 14 May, 2020 At 14:40
Subject: Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee Meeting Thursday 14 May 2020 - Public access to 'virtual' committee meetings

Hi Annette

Thanks for replying and not just sending a 'privacy statement' email.

I hope you are well.

It is always good to hear from your elected representatives especially when you are in 'lockdown'.

As you are aware, there is usually public access to committee meetings.

It is normal is that there is public access to committee meetings via the Public Gallery.

This access is being denied and the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee meeting held in 'secret'.

It is disappointing that ERC is lagging behind councils such as Renfrewshire regarding this technology.

I can still access the Renfrewshire Council site/videos

It is not as if you and ERC have not been aware of this video technology.

It has been raised for use by Committees by Councillors/Residents many times over the past 2-3 years.

Again, it is disappointing that when it is actually needed and would be advantageous, there has been a distinct lack of foresight.

On the 14th May 2020 the East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting to discuss the return of full council and committee meetings allowing Councillors to take up their roles once again to scrutinise Council policies and decision making.

I would appreciate if you will raise the matter of public access to these proposed 'virtual' meetings of

•Council – 24 June

Keep well.

Thanks

Re: East Renfrewshire Council Emergencies Committee will be meeting on 14 May 2020 3 years, 11 months ago #12

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published The Extra On Line -

News Politics Council

By Drew Sandelands
Thursday, 14th May 2020, 9:41 am

East Renfrewshire Council will hold meetings via video link
Meetings of East Renfrewshire Council are to set to be held digitally from next month.

They were suspended in March to help the authority respond to the coronavirus pandemic, with decisions delegated to council officers.

But a report to the emergencies committee, set up when the suspension was agreed, asks the leaders of the three political groups on the council to approve re-starting meetings.

It also recommends the temporary extension of delegated powers to council officers is withdrawn from June 30.

Councillors agreed to hand emergency decision-making powers to Chief Executive Lorraine McMillan and senior officers on March 23.

“This introduced flexibility to enable officers to take decisions at short notice in a rapidly changing landscape,” the new report states.

But the move has been criticised by some councillors and residents, with concerns raised over a lack of scrutiny.

Councillor Paul Aitken said: “Only Councillor Macdonald and myself voted against the transfer of powers from councillors to council management.

“I am still surprised that my fellow councillors agreed to give up all of their power for an indefinite period.

“Only councillors, and not council management, are accountable to voters.”

But Paul O’Kane, the council’s deputy leader, hit back at Cllr Aitken’s comments, saying: “He takes scrutiny so seriously he resigned from every committee he sat on, including the audit and scrutiny committee.”

He said no council policy has been changed while the emergency measures were in place.

Cllr O’Kane added he was proud of the way council staff had responded to the pandemic and supported the community.

Council leader Tony Buchanan said the changes had never been “indefinite” and it was “quite clear that delegated authority was for operational decisions in respect of matters relating to the situation we find ourselves in”.

He said the emergencies committee had “continually reviewed” the arrangement. “Credit to all of our staff in the council who have worked way beyond expectations in delivering for our residents,” he added.

The report, to be considered on Thursday, states “despite the additional work required, a degree of relative stability has now been reached enabling the recommencement of formal meetings to be considered”.

They could begin with a planning applications committee meeting on June 10.

An education committee meeting is planned for June 11, full council for June 24 and the audit and scrutiny committee on June 25.

The council’s IT team is currently checking whether all elected members have the appropriate equipment to participate and a connection guide is being developed.

“This should enable members to join meetings without assistance, but support will be available to assist members if required,” the report adds.

“Some testing will also be carried out in advance to ensure that arrangements are operating satisfactorily and that members are able to connect.”

The authority isn’t planning to re-start licensing committee meetings yet as they involve third parties, such as applicants and the police, and issues around site visits need to be addressed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds