Covid-19 Figures for East Renfrewshire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Covid-19 Figures for East Renfrewshire

Re: Covid-19 Figures for East Renfrewshire 3 years, 9 months ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Cc: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Thursday, 14 May, 2020 At 14:53
Subject: REQUEST FOR FOI REVIEW - Suggestion for 'live video updates' made to Chief Executive

Chief Officer (Legal and Procurement)
Council Headquarters
Rouken Glen Road
Giffnock
G46 6UG
REQUEST FOR FOI REVIEW
As instructed by the Chief Executive East Renfrewshire Council in their attached letter dated 11 May 2020  and as  Gerry Mahon, The Chief Officer Legal & Procurement, has previously  stated that for the Council, FoI is normally a 2 stage process -

'As  you will be aware the Council's response to an FOI request does not  merely revolve around the initial request but also the review process.  It is hoped that any human error in relation to the 1st part of the  process is properly remedied at the 2nd stage.'

I wish to request said FOI review.

Sorry, I do not have a reference number.

The Chief Executive did not provide one.

I wholeheartedly agree and support the praise for the effort being made by Council and NHS staff during this coronavirus pandemic and these worrying times.

This request for review in no way distracts from this praise or the work they are carrying out.

I am aware of the pressures staff are working under and FOI response timscales have been extended.

However, in a report to the EAST RENFREWSHIRE COUNCIL EMERGENCIES COMMITTEE dated 14 May 2020 the Deputy Chief Executive Caroline Innes has stated regarding tackling  the  COVID-19 pandemic -

'However, despite the additional work required, a degree of relative  stability has now been reached.................'

The Scottish Information Commissioner has written on their Website -
'Public  authorities are still required to respond "promptly" to the requests  for information they receive however, as well as to requests for review.  The temporary 60-working day timescale  for responses is a maximum  timescale only. '

The Scottish Information Commissioner has also posted on their Website  a Statement dated 15 April 2020 from ICIC (the Governance Working Group of the International  Conference of Information Commissioners (ICIC) - which includes the  Scottish Information Commissioner) on access to information during Covid-19 pandemic.

Included in the statement -

'“The impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) brings unprecedented challenges for our society, both nationally and globally.

“Public authorities must make significant decisions that affect public health, civil liberties and people’s prosperity.

“The public’s right to access information about such decisions is vital.

“But the importance of the right to access information remains.

“Public bodies must also recognise the value of clear and transparent  communication, and of good record-keeping, in what will be a much  analysed period of history.

“We add our support and gratitude to those who are dedicated to tackling the current pandemic.” '

My apoligies, I did not anticipate making a FOI review when making my suggestion to the Chief Executive.

However as the Chief Executive has invoked the FOI legislation, reluctantly I feel I have been left with no option as the Chief Executive has chosen to force on me the dates/periods to be covered by the FOI and provide only one days totals/figures that may be advantageous to them and convenient for their purposes.

My reasons for requesting this review are -

The Chief Executive has not provided a FOI reference number.

The Chief Executive just cannot make up the dates/periods to be covered by the FOI and only give totals/figures for a specific date of their choosing that may be advantageous to them and convenient for their purposes.

Providing information/totals/figures for one specific selected date only, cannot be classified as 'regular'.

My suggestion was for the Chief Executive to provide a regular basic update giving current information/figures starting on 24 March 2020 - ' I would suggest that a regular basic update should start with and include'

I think it reasonable to conclude that the period covered by the suggestion was 24 March 2020 to the date of the Chief Executives letter - 11 May 2020.

As the Chief Executive has treated my suggestion to provide a regular basic update giving current information/figures as a FOI request it is my understanding that this  FOI request should cover the period 24 March 2020 to the date of the Chief Executive's letter - 11 May 2020.

'You have asked for specific information and I will treat that as an FOI request:'

The Chief Executive has chosen to only provide totals/figures for one selected specific date - 27 April 2020.

Why were the Totals/Figures only provided for the Chief Executive's chosen date 27/4/2020?

Are daily/weekly totals/figures for the periods 24 March to 26 April 2020 , 28 April to 11 May 2020 available?

If so, why were they not provided?

Are they being withheld?

If so, under what section(s) of the legislation?

c. Number of Council workers
i. Number working from home
ii. Number on self -isolation
iii. Number on sick leave

We have 4654 staff. On the 27/4/20 - 409 were affected by coronavirus in some way and were not in a position to work at home.

414 were affected by coronavirus in some way but are able to work from home. In addition, we have asked all staff who can work from home to do so and many are able to do that.

Some staff will work from home part time, only coming into their place of work when absolutely necessary.

Why has this information not been provided for the periods 24 March to 26 April 2020 , 28 April to 11 May 2020?

- The requested total 'number working from home' has not been provided.
The total provided (414 were affected by coronavirus in some way but are able to work from home.) does not include this number - In addition  we have asked all staff who can work from home to do so.

- The requested Total/figure for 'Number on sick leave' has not been provided -

The total provided only includes the number on sick leave due to coronavirus - 409 were affected by coronavirus in some way and were not in a position to work at home

d. Number of vulnerable children at high risk and Number of children of essential workers attending schools.

e. Number of teachers attending schools to look after vulnerable children and
children of essential workers.

For the week beginning the 27/4/20 the number varied between 62 and 70

- Why has this information not been provided for the periods 24 March to 26 April 2020 , 28 April to 11 May 2020?

g. Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council  frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council  services in public places.

– Sufficient PPE is available for all Council staff to operate in line with relevant Government Guidance.

I think it reasonable to conclude that 'availability' was a request to provide totals/figures of PPE available to all council  frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council  services in public places, at the time the Chief Executive was to give the updates.

'Sufficient' gives the indication that totals/figures have been consulted/referenced by the Chief Executive to enable them to make this statement -

'Sufficient PPE is available for all Council staff to operate in line with relevant Government Guidance.'

The Chief Executive should provide provide totals/figures of PPE available to all council  frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council  services in public places, for the period periods 24 March to 26 April 2020 , 28 April to 11 May 2020, that enabled them to conclude   'Sufficient PPE is available for all Council staff to operate in line with relevant Government Guidance.'

As said,
My  suggestion was for the Chief Executive to provide a regular basic  update giving current information/figures starting on 24 March 2020 - ' I would suggest that a regular basic update should start with and include'

I  think it reasonable to assume that the period covered by the suggestion  was 24 March 2020 to the date of the Chief Executives letter - 11 May  2020.

As the Chief Executive has treated my suggestion to provide  a regular basic update giving current information/figures as a FOI  request it is my understanding that this  FOI request should cover the  period 24 March 2020 to the date of the Chief Executive's letter - 11 May 2020.

'You have asked for specific information and I will treat that as an FOI request:'

Are all the above totals/figures for the periods 24 March to 26 April 2020 , 28 April to 11 May 2020 available?

If so, why were they not provided?

Are they being withheld?

If so, under what section(s) of the legislation?

It was the Chief Executive who invoked the FOI legislation.

I think it reasonable to conclude that the information/totals/figures in the FOI response by the Chief Executive should cover the dates/periods 24 March 2020 to the date of the Chief Executives letter - 11 May  2020.

Keep well.

Thanks

Re: Covid-19 Figures for East Renfrewshire 3 years, 9 months ago #8

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
From: "Mahon, Gerry" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Maxwell, Graeme" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "Geddes, Craig" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 11 Jun, 2020 At 13:17
Subject: RE: REQUEST FOR FOI REVIEW - Suggestion for 'live video updates' made to Chief Executive

I refer to the above and to your review  request of 14 May 2020  regarding COVID related statistics following the Council’s initial response to various items of correspondence pertaining to this matter dated 11th of that month.

As you are aware, I have responsibility within the Council for dealing with reviews under the Freedom of Information regime and can advise that I have now concluded consideration of this case.

In the first instance I would note that much of your earlier correspondence related to the principle of a regular information broadcast by the Chief Executive.

The specific element of your ongoing dialogue with the Chief Executive (CE) referable to the Freedom of Information regime and to which the CE replied, was the request contained in your e-mail of 23 April 2020 which requested, amongst other  things,  “the suggested current relevant figures” and “ details on the current availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places.” 

The response of the CE accordingly reflected this request and was limited to “current” figures ie those pertinent as at the date of request.

Other records relating to the longer term period are held but were not released as they went beyond the terms of that particular written request.

I do not therefore agree that she in any way omitted information. .

Equally. I do not consider that “detail of current availability of PPE” clearly seeks totals/figures of all PPE available and in this sense her response to indicate a sufficiency was an accurate refllection of the position. 

However, in terms of the duty to assist I am now prepared to provide you with relevant information which is noted below – this indicates PPE orders made and received by the Council over the relevant period.

date - Description

02/06/2020 - 200 sanitiser stations, 300 alcohol hand sanitiser canisters

02/06/2020 - 4.4m anti-bacterial wipes

01/06/2020 - 5000 FFP3 Masks

11/05/2020 - 100,000 Type ii Masks

05/05/2020 - 200,000 aprons, 8,000 sm gloves, 20,000 med gloves, 50,000 large.

23/04/2020 - 48pks of 200 wipes

23/04/2020 - 50,000 Type ii masks

22/04/2020 - 1500pks of 200 wipes

22/04/2020 - 22pks of 200 wipes

21/04/2020 - 460 tubs x 450 pks wipes

17/04/2020 - 40,000 med gloves, 58,000 large gloves, 128,000 aprons

17/04/2020 - 18 bxs x 100 large Nitrile gloves, 8bxs x 100 large Nitrile gloves, 63 bxs x 100 green Nitrile gloves, 11bxs x 100 large Nitrile gloves, 18bxs x 100 medium Nitrile gloves, 22 bxs x 100 black Nitrile gloves.

16/04/2020 - 240 Red Grip Gloves

14/04/2020 - 250,000 Type ii Masks

14/04/2020 - 250 x 5ltr Hand Sanitiser

08/04/2020 - 80 bxs of 50 Type ii Masks

06/04/2020 - 240 pairs red PVC gloves size 9, 240 pairs red PVC gloves size 10

06/04/2020 - 475 Pks x 100 vinyl gloves powder free, 200 pks x 100 disposable aprons, 1000 x 100ml sanitiser gel, 1000 x 250ml sanitiser gel, 1000 x 500ml sanitiser gel, 2334 pks x 90 wipes, 100 coverall large, 50 extra-large coveralls, 50 x 2XL cover,

Whilst it is not technically within the scope of this review request, I am also prepared to supply the historical information to you now as part of the Council’s general duty to provide assistance. I have therefore included below the historical data held by the Council re its’ workforce and children/teachers attending schools.

c) i. Number of Council workers working from home

The Council does not record this figure as a general statistic so technically this information is not held.. However, the Council has closed certain office accommodation including the Eastwood Park and Speirsbridge buildings and all officers regularly working in those locations have primarily been working from home (although they are at liberty to attend other open offices if any specific element of their ongoing work demands and it cannot be done remotely).Staff traditionally working in currently open locations (such as Eastwood Health Centre or Barrhead Council Offices ) are also encouraged to work remotely if at all possible. Given that the situation is fluid on a day by day and indeed hour by hour basis, these figures are not recorded in any detailed sense.

ii. Number on self –isolation (symptomatic or underlying health condition)

w/b - Total

23/3 - 424

30/3 - 458

6/4 - 468

13/4 - 453

20/4 - 414

27/4 - 377

4/5 - 352

11/5 - 352

18/5 - 366

25/5 - 385

1/6 - 372

iii. Number on sick leave

The Council reports general sickness absence on a quarterly basis, the next report for the period March – June being due in July. The undernoted figures are specifically referable to the Covid outbreak and reflect those unable to work due to COVID over the relevant period. They  include those within the isolating group who are unable to work either due to the nature and extent of symptoms (whether ultimately transpiring to be Covid or otherwise) or the nature of their work (ie it cannot be undertaken remotely)

w/b - Total

23/3 - 397

30/3 - 446

6/4 - 443

13/4 - 435

20/4 - 409

27/4 - 364

4/5 - 305

11/5 - 250

18/5 - 241

25/5 - 214

1/6 - 216

d) Number of  children attending schools

w/b - Total - Key worker children - Equity group children

23/3 - 503 - 438 - 36

30/3 - 316 - 290 - 24

20/4 - 426 - 346 - 79

27/4 - 467 - 353 - 114

4/5 - 495 - 363 - 132

11/5 - 574 - 407 - 167

18/5 - 610 - 419 - 191

25/5 - 610 - 409 - 201

1/6 - 707 - 478 - 228

e) teachers attending schools

w/b

Average Teaching Staff per day (including senior management)

23/3 - 91

30/3 - 56

20/4 - 67

27/4 - 66

4/5 - 61

11/5 - 72

18/5 - 70

25/5 - 69

1/6 - 89

I trust this fully satisfies your request for review.  However, if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of this review, you have the right to appeal to the Scottish Information Commissioner.  His address is: Scottish Information Commissioner, Kinburn Castle, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9DS.

Yours sincerely
Gerry Mahon

Chief Officer – Legal and Procurement
Tel: 0141 577 3801
e-mail:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds