ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ?

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #7

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

12/4/2020

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people is at East Renfrewshire Council.
3 hrs · Giffnock ·

East Renfrewshire MP, Kirsten Oswald has just publicly supported the virtual recall of Parliament utilising video conferencing to maintain scrutiny of UK government decisions citing video conferencing of her party leader conducting First Minister's questions by similar means earlier this week as a great example of what is possible.

I have left comment on her post asking her to support the return of democratic decisions being made at East Renfrewshire Council and to urge her party colleague, council leader Cllr. Tony Buchanan to support that return.

In March, Cllr. Buchanan proposed a motion supported by his party colleague Cllr. Merrick to hand all democratic decision making power from councillors to the unelected Chief Executive Officer of the Council and her immediate department Directors. Regrettably that motion was carried.

The votes supporting the motion were as follows:

Cllr Stewart Miller - CON
Cllr Alan Lafferty - LAB
Cllr Colm Merrick - SNP
Cllr Tony Buchanan - SNP
Cllr Paul O'Kane - LAB
Provost Jim Fletcher - LAB

The votes against the motion were as follows:

Cllr David Macdonald - IND
Cllr Paul Aitken - IND

Abstention

Cllr Jim Swift - CON

The motion, therfore, was carried with a result of 6 votes to 2.

I want the MP to now call for the same scrutiny to return to East Ren as she has called for at Westminster.

For her to support one and turn a blind eye to the other would be inconsistent and unacceptable.

I am hoping she will publicly support my request.

Cllr MacDonald's comment on Kirsten's post -

'David Macdonald Perhaps you could do the same and write to your party colleague, ERC leader Cllr. Tony Buchanan who proposed a motion to hand over all decision making power to the Chief Executive of ERC for an indefinite period. This motion was also supported by your party colleague Cllr Colm Merrick. The motion was carried by a vote of 6-2 with 1 abstention. All decisions are now being made by unelected officers at the council. All scrutiny of council decisions is all but gone now and there is no definitive date as to when it will return. Council meetings requiring democratic decisions could have easily continued by the same means using video conferencing that you are praising concerning First Minister's questions. Please, do all you can as MP to call for the same scrutiny to return to East Renfrewshire. To laud one and turn a blind eye to another would be wrong in my view. Thank you.
www.facebook.com/macdonaldtheindependent '

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #8

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
From: "Tait, Alison" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Buchanan, Tony (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "O'Kane, Paul (Cllr)" <Paul.O' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 3 Apr, 2020 At 10:17
Subject: RE: Emergency Decision-Making arrangements - Keeping Staff and Residents Updated

Thank you for your email of 31 March 2020 and for acknowledging the efforts presently being made by the Council and NHS staff during this emergency which is very much appreciated.

The Chief Executive will certainly give your suggestion consideration.

Kind regards
Alison Tait
Executive Assistant to Chief Executive

To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Cc: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; paul.o' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Sunday, 12 Apr, 2020 At 17:08
Subject: RE: Emergency Decision-Making arrangements - Keeping Staff and Residents Updated

Dear Chief Executive(and Alison - Emergency Committee: Cllr Buchanan, Cllr O'kane, Cllr Miller)

Again, I wholeheartedly agree and support the praise for the effort being made by Council and NHS staff.

The suggestions/comments made here in no way distract from this praise or the work they are carrying out.

However, we seem to be going round in circles?

On 24 March - 'She has noted your suggestions.'

On 3 April - 'The Chief Executive will certainly give your suggestion consideration.'

The Chief Executive is in charge of all Council decisions.

It seems strange that they cannot make these decisions on relatively simple matters?

You will appreciate that confidence in officials has been dented with the recent 'do as I say, not as I do' revelations of visiting their second home by the former Chief Medical Officer.

This highlights the continued need for transparency and scrutiny even in these worrying times.

You state on the ERC website - 'however we're currently operating with half our normal workforce among our refuse collection staff..'

Are they more prone to the virus? Is this not rather worrying?

Is the Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places causing a problem?

You give no reason as to why you the Chief Executive cannot use Webcast and/or on- Line Video to regularly update both Staff and Residents.

If any, what difficulties/problems do you envisage with webcasting/video?

If any, what difficulties/problems do you envisage with providing current figures(as outlined below)?

Again, I would suggest that a Chief Executive Webcast/Video rather than a few lines on a Webpage will give Staff and Residents more comfort and confidence in these troubling times.

Again, I would suggest that use of the Webcast facility to give 'live' updates is an excellent and safe way for the Chief Executive to update both staff and the residents of East Renfrewshire.

We have to have confidence that these emergency measures are actually working and the Council still continues to function to deliver the services residents rely on.

I would urge that it is imperative that the Chief Executive is seen to be in control.

I would suggest that a regular basic update should start with and include -

In East Renfrewshire -

Corona Virus confirmed cases

Corona Virus confirmed deaths

Council workers/staff -

Number of Council workers

Number working from home

Number on self isolation

Number on sick leave

Number of vulnerable children at high risk and Number of children of essential workers attending schools.

Number of teachers attending schools to look after vulnerable children and children of essential workers.

Services -

Services continuing to be provided

Services NOT continuing to be provided

Details of problem areas.

Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places.

Do you agree with our MP Kirsten Oswald that video conferencing to maintain scrutiny of all decisions be now introduced -

'East Renfrewshire MP, Kirsten Oswald has just publicly supported the virtual recall of Parliament utilising video conferencing to maintain scrutiny of UK government decisions citing video conferencing of her party leader conducting First Minister's questions by similar means earlier this week as a great example of what is possible.'

and this video conferencing can also be introduced at Local Council Level without too much difficulty?

Again, I do appreciate the current situation but residents and staff need to be regularly updated and your help with this matter with a more positive reply will be greatly appreciated.

I do hope that this is seen as helpful.

Thanks and keep well.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #9

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Cc: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; paul.o' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Thursday, 23 Apr, 2020 At 14:17

Dear Chief Executive(and Alison - Emergency Committee: Cllr Buchanan, Cllr O'kane, Cllr Miller)

Again, I wholeheartedly agree and support the praise for the effort being made by Council and NHS staff.

The suggestions/comments made here in no way distract from this praise or the work they are carrying out.

Would appreciate reply to my email of 12 April 2020 below regarding making a decision regarding the suggestions including -

Webcasting/video updates by the Chief Executive to include

- the suggested current relevant figures

- details on the current Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places.

You give no reason as to why you the Chief Executive cannot use Webcast and/or on- Line Video to regularly update both Staff and Residents.

If any, what difficulties/problems do you envisage with webcasting/video?

If any, what difficulties/problems do you envisage with providing current figures(as previously outlined below)?

The Scottish Information Commissioner has posted on their Website -

'Statement from ICIC on access to information during Covid-19 pandemic
15 April 2020

Statement from the Governance Working Group of the International Conference of Information Commissioners (ICIC - which includes the Scottish Information Commissioner):

“The impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) brings unprecedented challenges for our society, both nationally and globally.

“Public authorities must make significant decisions that affect public health, civil liberties and people’s prosperity.

“The public’s right to access information about such decisions is vital.

“As a global community, we recognise that resources may be diverted away from usual information rights work. Public organisations will rightly focus their resources on protecting public health, and we recognise our role in taking a pragmatic approach, for example around how quickly public bodies respond to requests.

“But the importance of the right to access information remains.

“Public bodies must also recognise the value of clear and transparent communication, and of good record-keeping, in what will be a much analysed period of history.

"As an international network, the International Conference of Information Commissioners (ICIC) supports a flexible approach that takes into account the compelling public interest in the current health emergency, while safeguarding the values of the right to access information. We ask governments to support this vision.

“We add our support and gratitude to those who are dedicated to tackling the current pandemic.” '

Again, I do appreciate the current situation but residents and staff need to be regularly updated and your help with this matter with a more positive reply will be greatly appreciated.

I do hope that this is seen as helpful.

Thanks and keep well.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 3 years, 12 months ago #10

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
At least Renfrewshire Council attempt to be open and transparent and involve some form of scrutiny using video.

You can view Emergency Committee meetings here -

www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/10204/Emergencies-Board

You can read transcript of 17 April meeting here -

www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/10217/Te...-Board-17-April-2020

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 3 years, 11 months ago #11

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cc: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; paul.o' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Thursday, 30 Apr, 2020 At 16:06

I know you will be busy during this difficult situation but this will not take up much of your time.

You have been considering this since 23 March 2020(and ignored my requests of 12 & 23 April 2020 below).

Councillors voted to hand over all decision making to yourself.

As a consequence, the Residents/Council Tax Payers of East Renfrewshire now have no representation.

You give no reasons as to why you the Chief Executive cannot use Webcast and/or on- Line Video to regularly update both Staff and Residents.

Therefore, the presumption can be made that there are no reasons.

Is it not time you actually made this decision.

This would be much appreciated.

It is not a difficult decision -

You are either in favour of updating Residents/Council Tax Payers/Staff
'in person' using current Webcast/Video technology or you are not.

You are the person in charge and have all the available current information regarding figures and PPE availability etc.

If you are not willing to update Residents/Council Tax Payers/Staff 'in person' using current available Webcast/Video technology -

then Residents/Council Tax Payers/Staff deserve to know the reasons why.

As we are currently in lockdown and are all in this together I do not think this unreasonable.

Other Councils such as Renfrewshire Council are already using current webcast/video technology to give figures/updates, to be open and transparent and allow scrutiny of their decisions.

You can view here -

www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/article/10204/Emergencies-Board

The suggestions/comments/requests made here in no way distract from this praise or the work they are carrying out.

Keep well.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 3 years, 11 months ago #12

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
8/5/2020
ERC have posted on their facebook page -

(Click on link then scroll down to video post)

www.facebook.com/eastrenfrewshirecouncil/

East Renfrewshire Council
Yesterday at 02:01 ·

🎥 Watch our Chief Executive Lorraine McMillan explain what the council's priorities have been during this pandemic as she passes on her thanks to all our residents for your support during these difficult times.

www.facebook.com/eastrenfrewshirecouncil...eos/572869696978856/

This is a thank you, not an update with facts and figures.

We all wholeheartedly agree and support the praise for the effort being made by Council and NHS staff coping with coronavirus during these worrying times.

Requests made to the Chief Executive to provide current and regular updates/figures in no way distract from this praise or the work they are carrying out.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds