ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ?

Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Only the Chief Executive knows what is going on.

Only the Chief Executive can give a true update of the current situation.

Why not in person using current available video technology?

Previously posted -

++++++++++

Briefing Notes No. 145 - 23rd. March 2020

’Democracy officially cancelled in East Renfrewshire

This morning elected members of East Renfrewshire Council voted to hand control of council decisions over to unelected officers.

….……………Let us be clear: councillors have handed control of decisions to those very same officers councillors are there to control.

In consequence, we now have no representation.

Councillors discussed but refused to impose any time-limit and as this matter is not time limited nor subject to review, it could run until the next council elections, whenever they are held.’

++++++++++

That is basically all we know.

You now cannot rely on your Councillor to influence or make any decisions regarding Council Services.

Leaders have to be seen, boost morale and instil confidence during these worrying times.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: 23 March 2020 13:29
To: McMillan, Lorraine < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: Daly, Eamonn < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Subject: Emergency Decision-Making arrangements - Keeping Residents Updated

Dear Chief Executive(Copied to Eamonn Daly)

In these unprecedented times keeping residents updated with the latest situation is important.

I would suggest that the Chief Executive Officer makes use of the Webcast facility and gives 'live' updates to the residents of East Renfrewshire.

This can be done observing the social distancing rules as it would only require 1 person to be in the chamber to make the broadcast.

Thanks

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
From: "Tait, Alison" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 24 Mar, 2020 At 14:36
Subject: RE: Emergency Decision-Making arrangements - Keeping Residents Updated

Thank you for your email below to Lorraine McMillan, Chief Executive. She has noted your suggestions.

Kind regards
Alison
Alison Tait
Executive Assistant to Chief Executive

Sent: 24 March 2020 17:11
To: McMillan, Lorraine < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; Tait, Alison < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; Buchanan, Tony (Cllr) < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; O'Kane, Paul (Cllr) <Paul.O' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; Miller, Stewart (Cllr) < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

Hi Chief Executive(and Alison - Also Emergency Committee: Cllr Buchanan, Cllr O'kane, Cllr Miller)

Thank you for your polite reply letting me know that the Chief Executive 'has noted your suggestions' ,

but giving no details of how they can be considered and implemented.

These are worrying times for us elderly OAP residents in lockdown in our homes.

I hope you and your staff keep well and I do not wish to take up your valuable time but it is very important that residents know what is going on and how they will be updated by the Chief Executive.

With these Emergency Measures and the subsequent taking of power, comes responsibility and Leadership.

'Councillors, strictly adhering to social distancing, met on Monday 23 March to put in place emergency measures which will allow the council to operate as effectively as possible during these challenging times. We will continue to do all we can to deliver the services residents rely on.'

That is basically all we know.

You now cannot rely on your Councillor to do anything or give you information regarding Council Services.

Leaders have to be seen and instill confidence during these worrying times.

I would suggest that 'seeing a face' rather than a few lines on a Webpage will give residents more comfort and confidence in these troubling times.

Again, I would suggest that use of the Webcast facility to give 'live' updates is an excellent and safe way for the Chief Executive to update the residents of East Renfrewshire.

We have to have confidence that these emergency measures are actually working and the Council still continues to function to deliver the services residents rely on.

This must be backed up by evidence that can be confirmed.

I would urge that it is imperative that the Chief Executive is seen to be in control.

I would suggest that a regular basic update should start with and include -

In East Renfrewshire -

Corona Virus confirmed cases

Corona Virus confirmed deaths

Council workers/staff -

Number of Council workers

Number working from home

Number on self isolation

Number on sick leave

Number of vulnerable children at high risk and Number of children of essential workers attending schools.

Number of teachers attending schools to look after vulnerable children and children of essential workers.

Services -

Services continuing to be provided

Services NOT continuing to be provided

Details of problem areas.

Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places.

Again, I do appreciate the current situation but residents need to be regularly updated and your help with this matter with a more positive reply will be greatly appreciated.

I do hope that this is seen as helpful.

Thanks

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Tait, Alison" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Cc: "Buchanan, Tony (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "O'Kane, Paul (Cllr)" <Paul.O' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Friday, 27 Mar, 2020 At 10:05

Thank you for your email below which I acknowledge receipt.

The Council has a special coronavirus section on our website which has key updates to a range of council services to help keep our residents updated during this crisis.

I have attached a link below which I hope will be helpful.

Also our communications team have regular updates on our social media channels.

Link to website is:

www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/coronavirus

Kind regards
Alison
Alison Tait
Executive Assistant to Chief Executive
East Renfrewshire Council

To: "Tait, Alison" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Cc: "Buchanan, Tony (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >; "O'Kane, Paul (Cllr)" <Paul.O' This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Tuesday, 31 Mar, 2020 At 14:19
Subject: RE: Emergency Decision-Making arrangements - Keeping Staff and Residents Updated

Dear Chief Executive(and Alison - Emergency Committee: Cllr Buchanan, Cllr O'kane, Cllr Miller)

Thanks for this.

I am aware of the Website link and publicise it to all whenever possible.

I wholeheartedly agree and support the praise for the effort being made by Council and NHS staff.

The suggestions made here in no way distract from this praise or the work they are carrying out.

- The suggestions can update both Staff(especially those working from home) and Residents.

You give no reason as to why ' Live in person - seeing a face' Webcast and/or on- Line Video cannot be used to regularly update both Staff and Residents.

If any, what difficulties/problems do you envisage?

I would suggest that 'seeing a face' rather than a few lines on a Webpage will give Staff and Residents more comfort and confidence in these troubling times.

Again, I would suggest that use of the Webcast facility to give 'live' updates is an excellent and safe way for the Chief Executive to update both staff and the residents of East Renfrewshire.

We have to have confidence that these emergency measures are actually working and the Council still continues to function to deliver the services residents rely on.

I would urge that it is imperative that the Chief Executive is seen to be in control.

I would suggest that a regular basic update should start with and include -

In East Renfrewshire -

Corona Virus confirmed cases

Corona Virus confirmed deaths

Council workers/staff -

Number of Council workers

Number working from home

Number on self isolation

Number on sick leave

Number of vulnerable children at high risk and Number of children of essential workers attending schools.

Number of teachers attending schools to look after vulnerable children and children of essential workers.

Services -

Services continuing to be provided

Services NOT continuing to be provided

Details of problem areas.

Availability of protective masks/clothing etc for all council frontline staff and all council staff who continue to provide council services in public places.

Again, I do appreciate the current situation but residents and staff need to be regularly updated and your help with this matter with a more positive reply will be greatly appreciated.

I do hope that this is seen as helpful.

Thanks and keep well.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Video Posted ERC Facebook page -

East Renfrewshire Council
3 April at 06:00 ·

Here is a message from East Renfrewshire Council Leader, Tony Buchanan

Go to East Renfrewshire Council facebook

www.facebook.com/eastrenfrewshirecouncil/

then scroll down to find video.

Note:

Previously posted -

++++++++++

Briefing Notes No. 145 - 23rd. March 2020

’Democracy officially cancelled in East Renfrewshire

This morning elected members of East Renfrewshire Council voted to hand control of council decisions over to unelected officers.

….……………Let us be clear: councillors have handed control of decisions to those very same officers councillors are there to control.

In consequence, we now have no representation.

Councillors discussed but refused to impose any time-limit and as this matter is not time limited nor subject to review, it could run until the next council elections, whenever they are held.’

++++++++++

East Renfrewshire Council Leader, Tony Buchanan is not currently in charge of decision making.

The Chief Executive Officer is in control of Council decisions.

Re: Should the Council’s CEO be ‘seen’ giving Live regular updates to Staff and Residents using current available Webcast/Video facilities ? 4 years ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

11/4/2020

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people
20 hrs ·

In March ERC council leader Tony Buchanan proposed a motion at a special meeting of the full council to suspend all decision making powers and hand them to the Chief Executive Officer of the council, Lorraine McMillan officially suspending democratic decision making in East Ren indefinitely.

All decisions at East Renfrewshire are now being made by unelected officers.

At that meeting it was suggested that councillors could continue with their democratic duties on committees and full council by video link but that idea was not acceptable to him. Instead he chose to hand over all authority to unelected Council officers.

Cllr. Colm Merrick was also in attendance at that meeting and voted to do this.

Now it appears both Cllr. Merrick and Buchanan along with their Councillor colleagues have no problems conducting their party group meetings by video link.

I welcome them doing this and utilising technology allowing for safety guidelines to be followed.

Why is video link good for their party and not for full council meetings or committees?

The residents of East Renfrewshire are having decisions thrust on them now with no scrutiny on those decisions.

A meeting of the full council takes approximately 60-90 minutes and less for a single decision to be democratically reached.

The double standards here is regrettable.

'Cllr Annette Ireland
21 hrs ·

Useful SNP #teamEastRen Councillor/MSP/MP #COVID19 meeting earlier, with Kirsten Oswald, Tom Arthur MSP, Cllrs Tony Buchanan, Caroline Bamforth, Angela Convery, Annette Ireland, and Colm Merrick.
Helpful to discuss issues around Coronavirus and providing local support in relation to all the wide range of issues which are impacting on local folk, including employment, benefits, business, volunteering, travel, and more.
Glad to be part of this team, working hard together in East Renfrewshire.'
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds