Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023

Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #1

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
------ Original Message ------
To: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 13:26
Subject: Police Scotland have invited all councillors to comment on their draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023

Hi Stewart

Police Scotland have invited all councillors to comment on their draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023.

Would appreciate if you can give your views/comments on the Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 and its effect on your Ward 4 constituency.

Would also appreciate if you can give details of what consultations you have had with your constituents and what feedback has been received.

I attach Cllr David MacDonald's views/comments/feedback below.

(they don't necessarily reflect my own views/comments)

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Cllr David MacDonald has posted on his facebook page -

04/02/2020

Cllr David Macdonald - An Independent voice for people is at Duff Memorial Hall.
3 hrs · Glasgow ·

Police Scotland have invited all councillors to comment on their draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 before it goes before the Cabinet (Police and Fire) at a meeting on the 12th of February.

I have just written to Partnership Superintendant Gary I'Anson giving him my feedback on what I feel needs to be adopted within that plan.

Below is my letter to him sent this evening. Please feel free to comment. The Police do read the threads on this page.

----

4th February 2020

Dear Superintendant I’Anson,

I refer to the letter I received from Divisional Commander Hazel Hendren dated 9 January 2020 in which she discusses the draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 for East Renfrewshire.

I have been asked to provide comment to the Local Police Plan and forward these comments to you.

My suggestions are fairly simple and relate to an urgent return to back to basics policing.

I would like to see far more high visibility presence by officers walking beats by foot and by bicycle throughout ward 4.

Policing is now reactive as opposed to proactive where the few times we actually see a Police car in the ward is if the officers within it are responding to a call or are delivering a summons.

The only other time we ever see Police in ward 4 is when the training car passes through full of driving trainees to or from Jackton.

Police Scotland need to stop solely using cars and get back out into the community they serve on foot, on bike and in cars.

They need to engage face to face with the public as they patrol.

They need to stop in to local businesses and introduce themselves by name.

Cooperation between Police and the public used to be far more so in years gone by but now many view the Police as a completely faceless organisation that refuse to engage on a daily basis with the community.

We need more smaller offices within communities.

This can be in the form of mobile police offices in vans set up in main street areas on the weekend nights where officers can work out of being dispatched into areas very quickly.

Alternatively, the council could work hand in hand with the Police directly and allow the police to use Culture & Leisure trust run buildings such as Duff Hall in Busby or Netherlee Pavilion.

Nothing is impossible.

Failing that, there are quite a few vacant private shop fronts in ward 4 and perhaps the Police would consider taking up tenancy in them.

A small price to pay to have a big visual presence.

East Renfrewshire is suffering at the hands of further centralisation of the Police service and I believe that this is not the way to tackle issues that blight our community, most notably anti-social behaviour in the form of vandalism, graffiti, some paramilitary and homophobic in nature, malicious damage to property and wilful fire-raising.

Many young people in our communities gathering in groups, most notably recently in Busby, have taken it upon themselves to intimidate residents with threats of physical violence.

Many of them gather abusing alcohol and drugs in the streets at night.

At present we have two Police offices in East Renfrewshire.

Giffnock and Barrhead.

For an area the size of East Renfrewshire, with almost 100,000 residents, this is not fit for purpose.

There has been rumour that Giffnock Police Station will likely close in the coming few years.

This would be a mistake.

It seems that we are going backwards rather than forwards and that those that intent on causing problems in our community are winning against the Police as a result.

The Police need to be present within all of our communities at all times.

only way this can be achieved is to have a physical presence in each community that the police serve.

I speak for the residents in my ward that are really fed up with what they feel is a very lacklustre style of Policing.

They want much more Police presence and engagement with the local community.

I hope that my comments are taken into account at the meeting of the Cabinet (Police and Fire) scheduled for the 12th of February 2020.

Yours sincerely,

Cllr. David Macdonald
Ward 4
Independent.

Re: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #2

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 16:37
Subject: Re: Police Scotland have invited all councillors to comment on their draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023

Dear Sir

I am in regular contact with the police, sometimes weekly, on behalf of constituents and these conversations will remain private

If other Cllrs wish to share theirs thoughts on social media, that's up to them

Regards

Stewart

Re: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #3

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 11:34
Subject: Re: Police Scotland have invited all councillors to comment on their draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023

Hi Stewart

Your reply is a bit of nonsense. It makes no sense.

I did not ask about private matters to do with yourself, the police and constituents.

What I did ask was -

Would appreciate if you can give your views/comments on the Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 and its effect on your Ward 4 constituency.

I do not think that an unreasonable request.

I also asked -
Would also appreciate if you can give details of what consultations you have had with your constituents and what feedback has been received.

Again, I did not ask about private matters to do with yourself, the police and constituents.

I do not think that an unreasonable request.

The Policing of your Ward 4 constituency is an important matter to your constituents.

Social Media is a popular platform for communication and used by many of your constituents.

I may agree/disagree with Councillor MacDonald, but at least we know what his views/comments/thoughts are regarding this important matter.

At least other Councillors share their thoughts and hopefully way can debate these in an intelligent manner.

Why would a Councillor not want to share their views/comments/thoughts on the Policing/Policy Plan and its effect on your Ward 4 constituency?

How should/where can we get your views/comments/thoughts regarding this important matter?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #4

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
From: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 16:39

Forward someone who repeatedly thinks I talk nonsense and that I make no sense, it surprises me that you persist with your correspondence

But at the risk of talking no sense yet again, let me explain my position.

Unlike Cllr MacDonald, I regularly meet with the police, both at local constable level all the way up to Area Commander.

As it happens, I will meeting with the local Superintendent, Inspector and Sergeant based at Giffnock next week

As for my own thoughts, that is completely immaterial as it is my opinion that I have been elected to represent the views of my constituents, not my own views.

If Cllr MacDonald wishes to publicise his own ideas on social media, that is his choice and I have no criticism of his choice.

I don't even have to represent his views as he lives in Glasgow and not East Renfrewshire.

In my discussions with the police, I am happy to convey to them any concerns local people tell me

Hopefully, you will understand my position

Stewart

Re: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #5

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
To: "Miller, Stewart (Cllr)" < This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >
Sent: Monday, 10 Feb, 2020 At 15:06

Hi Stewart

Thanks for this.

I correspond because it is the democratic way.

If your own views/thoughts are immaterial, what views/thoughts from your constituents will you be representing/putting forward regarding the Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 and its effect on your Ward 4 constituency?

'In my discussions with the police, I am happy to convey to them any concerns local people tell me '

In your discussions with the police, in general, what are the main concerns local people have told you that you will be conveying to them?

Your help with this matter is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Cllr Stewart Miller - Police Scotland draft Local Policing Plan 2020-2023 4 years, 1 month ago #6

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Sent: Monday, 10 Feb, 2020 At 19:53

Dear Sir

When people ask me to make representations to the police, or anyone else, never in my experience have they asked me to publicise their representations therefore I will not respond to your unreasonable request

Kind regards

Stewart
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds