ER Newsline

More ...

Surveys
Forum

Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

ERC claim they can identify where you live from your IP number?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: ERC claim they can identify where you live from your IP number?

ERC claim they can identify where you live from your IP number? 4 years, 8 months ago #1

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
East Renfrewshire Council (ERC) claim that they have found a method of identifying your address from your IP number.

The claim came to light during a recent Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

The original FOI was in connection with the alleged survey concerning the relocation of the leisure centre.

The claim was made and as such they refused to provide any material claiming 'personal data' privilege.

The case was sent by the applicant to the FOI Scottish Commissioner on appeal.

ERC defense was that they had used the formula below to trace one of those submitted replies to a specific address.

The FOISA Commissioners case officer accepted this information (without obtaining independent expert opinion) and supported ERC and denied access to the information.

InkedScan_20190714_LI.jpg

Re: ERC claim they can identify where you live from your IP number? 4 years, 8 months ago #2

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
This ability seems to be at odds with all the advice provided on the Internet. In that the only people who can identify where an IP is located is the Service Provider.

Even the police advise that they require to obtain a warrant to obtain the address from a Service Provider.

Have ERC found a method that not one other person seems to be aware of?

Incidentally we used the ERC method on the IP number of the FOISA case officer who works in an office in St Andrews.

The formula showed that she was in fact sitting in Queens Park, Edinburgh.

Using this technique we tested an IP of a friend who was in Motherwell, however unknown to him he was in Paris.

Re: ERC claim they can identify where you live from your IP number? 4 years, 8 months ago #3

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
I have just checked mine and apparently I am in the Savoy Centre, and here is me sitting in my hoose
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.14 seconds