• Platinum Boarder

Re: Current State of the Roads in East Renfrewshire 5 years, 1 month ago #36

• RM64
  • Platinum Boarder
Published Barrhead News On Line -

7th February
By John McNee

Neilston residents given fresh hope in bid to repair pesky potholes

THERE is light at the end of the tunnel for campaigners who are fighting to have Neilston’s crumbling carriageways repaired.

The issue was raised at the most recent meeting of Neilston Community Council, where members complained that roads in the village had been ignored for far too long.

Particular attention was drawn to Main Street, from the bus stop down to the stretch in front of the Travellers Rest pub, which was said to have been reported numerous times since October 2017 but is still in a state of disrepair.

Even the pedestrian crossing on Main Street was said to be unsafe, with members highlighting a recent incident in which a 93-year-old woman with a walking aid fell while attempting to cross as she stumbled over a pothole.

One community councillor commented: “It’s dangerous. You have the lights in your favour but you can’t get across because of the holes in the road.”

However, Councillor Paul O’Kane, who represents Newton Mearns North and Neilston, suggested there could soon be good news for campaigners who are keen to see the pothole problems being fixed.

Commenting on discussions he has had with officers in East Renfrewshire Council’s roads department, he said: “I have to caveat this, because it will be subject to council budgeting and the roads revenue works programme, but the state of the roads is an issue I encounter repeatedly at surgeries and driving through Neilston myself.

“The initial proposal was that Neilston’s roads would next be resurfaced in 2024. I suggested that they might bring that forward.

“The roads department is now looking to bring that forward into the next financial year, which begins April 1.

“Essentially, it would be the length of Main Street, from Station Road down.”

Neilston residents have previously complained about being treated like “second-class citizens” when it comes to roads, accusing the council of prioritising more affluent areas.

East Renfrewshire Council’s roads service has a list of around 350 carriageways and 250 footways requiring attention but budget constraints mean it can only afford to carry out between 15 and 20 resurfacings per year.

Asked at the meeting about Neilston’s side roads and residential streets, many of which are also in need of repair, Councillor O’Kane said: “There’s a real challenge in getting funding from the budget.

“It will depend what happens in the council budget and what is allocated to roads. We need to see what we can do with limited funds.”
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds