Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #175

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
The Scottish Government guidance states that councillors are required to declare that their claims are for approved business and relate to associated costs incurred by them. It will be for authorities to decide whether claims made by their councillors are reasonable and should be reimbursed.

It further states that councillors and local authorities should consider cost effectiveness and value for money when choosing the mode and class of transport for a journey on council business.

A review of all taxi journeys paid directly by the council should be carried out and councillors asked to provide details of which specific approved duty was being carried out and the details of the approved duty, if this information is not already recorded by Members Service

Who will approve the business is as a councillor representing the council?

I am thinking of councillors and friends attending gala functions, or attendance at a 'Fashion Show'.

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #176

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
Electric Cars / Travel outside East Renfrewshire

The tightening up on the use of Electric Cars is long overdue.

As regards to travel outside of east Renfrewshire at present councillors use various methods.

They either drive or get the train.

For example.

Tony Buchanan likes to take his big Jaguar to Edinburgh, Perth ect.

Jim Fletcher takes the train to Edinburgh.

The train is much cheaper than the mileage of taking a car and is much more environmentally friendly. Especially if the councillor is over 60 with use of their pass.

Now that the council has five electric cars should it not be the case a train is first choice, if not suitable then one of the electric cars is used instead of a fuel guzzling Jaguar, much more environmentally friendly.

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #177

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
In relation to the checking of drivers licences I feel that they are once again playing into the 'Councillors were crowned......no they were not they were elected'

Nowadays there is no green counterpart licence to go with the photocard driver's licence.

Simple authorisation is provided by the driver for the staff to check for endorsement and or convictions directly with DVLA.

These checks should not be once a year, I can be convicted and disqualified the day after a check is made on me. I can then drive the car the following year, whilst disqualified, as I know that there will be no checks for 12 months.

This would leave the council and in particular staff open to charges.

Whilst Eamon Daly and Jim Sneddon may not be happy if staff have to do this, they require to do it, it is their job, like it or not.

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #178

• Tom
  • Platinum Boarder
Whilst a naive person may say "It's alright it has all been agreed".

In my opinion whilst certain members of staff have agreed the recommendations, have the councillors?

Do the recommendations go far enough, do they not require fine tuning.?

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #179

• DJ2

Re: Councillors Expenses - 2016 - 17 6 years, 8 months ago #180

• Newsline
  • Platinum Boarder
NEWSLINE has learnt that Jim Swift has moved to Education and has been replaced on Audit by Charlie Gilbert.
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds