• Page:

TOPIC: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row

Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd

Re: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #2

• Sax
  • Platinum Boarder
After his house swapping and claiming for an upgrade on his Clarkston homes toilet, cleaners to clean his Clarkston home etc, is there any surprise at this revelation.

Re: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #3

• Alan Henderson
Maybe he needed the money for expences as i hear he is still looking for the weapons of mass destruction and what with the price of petrol etc.

Re: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #4

• Stewart
I notice on the front of that very fine local "newspaper that Mr Murphy denies all wrong doing. Yeah, like he's going to hold his hands up and admit it.
He then goes on to say that the rules should be re examined. In my, albeit limited, experience, when someone gets caught doing something wrong, especially MP's, they then try to get the rules changed so that they can get away with it the next time.

Sorry sonny, you've been caught yet again so you'll have to think up a new wheeze for the next time.

How many chances does an MP get before he gets the jail

Re: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #5

• Vicky
  • Administrator
yes, and that 'local' paper JUST happens to print all that Jim Murphy wants to say - oh dear !!!!!!!

Re: Jim Murphy named among 27 MPs in new expenses row 11 years, 5 months ago #6

• lasercow
  • Administrator
I can actually see it from his point of view - he has a flat in London, that we pay the mortgage on. Then the rules change and they can't get mortgage payments, only rent.

What does he do? Sell it? Probably at a loss - and while you probably would like the idea of Jim taking a personal hit, it goes against the reason MPs get these payments - to enable anyone, from any background, to represent their constituents in far away London. He could have set up a company and sold it to that, and then rented it off the company, but I'm not sure how legal it would be and it looks even more dodgy

I would have changed the rules to say that mortgages are fine, but any profit made on sale is given back to Parliament, and the flat is sold/passed on to another MP if you lose your seat - the mortgage is held by the nation.

Either that or just bung them all in University style Halls of Residence

Here's a scary thought, if wee Eck wins in 2014, I bet you Mr Murphy will be back up here, shoving Johanne Lamont under a bus (or Anas if he has taken over by then), vying for the top job.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds