Language learning to start from P1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Language learning to start from P1

Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
Full story in the News section

Scotland needs a radical change of approach to modern languages in schools, Minister for Learning Alasdair Allan has said.

Responding to recommendations made by the Modern Languages Working Group, Dr Allan announced that the Scottish Government will now explore opportunities for all young people to start learning a second language from P1.

Re: Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #2

They've been doing this in Holland, Belgium, Germany and Scandinavia for years. Long overdue in this country.

Re: Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #3

• Mady
I've known several people who have children that speak two languages, and the learning usually starts long before P1

Re: Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #4

• lasercow
  • Administrator
The earlier the better. I know a few bilingual couples, they make an effort to speak both languages equally (each parent speaks their own language to the child), so the children sort of learn both languages at once.

My eldest got an hour of French a week at nursery - he could say a few words, ask for ice cream, but I think he's forgotten it all now. If they never get the chance to practice/use, they'll just lose it. He did know enough to sometime work out what we were talking about when we spoke (bad) French so he didn't know what we were saying

P1s at Robslee are definitely getting some French.

Re: Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #5

• lgm
I started learning german when I was 3. My mother taught me some words, verbs and sentences but sadly, did not speak to me all the time and gave up the lessons. I later did german at grammar school at her insistence. I can remember all she taught me. I have forgotten most of what I learned at school. Use it or lose it does apply, but the sooner they start, the more they will remember.

My eldest did Gaelic while he was at primary 'oop north' and he can remember what he learned there....30 odd years ago

Re: Language learning to start from P1 11 years, 10 months ago #6

• Billy
It must make sense for children to learn other languages, it must stretch the mind and we now live in a very small world, airplanes, internet etc. They must require to be muli lingual and have the ability to interact, rather than staying insular with only one language.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds