Search this site....

Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire

Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire 11 years, 11 months ago #1

• Ernhw Ltd
  • ernhw Ltd
Link to the source teachers forum

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on the state of play for secondary supply in the above areas. We're looking at re-locating to Ayrshire (my other half is a Maths teacher), where we're originally from, so the move is a bit of a gamble and we're just hoping he can get enough supply work there as he'd be leaving a secure teaching job where we are now. Also does anyone get anything longer term or is it a case of 4 at a time days max so they don't have to pay you the higher rate?

Any info greatly appreciated - thanks.....

I have never had any luck with East Ren despite living there and being only 10-20 mins from every school. I have heard that each school has its prefered list of supply teachers that they call in when required. Had a bit more luck with East Ayrshire, but they allocate their supply posts to their NQTs so that the stats gathered by the Scottish Government look good, then its pretty much you're on your own. All of the supply work that I've had has only been part-time. Again, from the schools I've been in some have their own list of prefered supply teachers who they call in, but I have had calls from HR asking me if I'm available. HTH

Re: Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire 11 years, 11 months ago #2

• lasercow
  • Administrator
I imagine they have ex-probationers looking for work, who know the school and children, any demand for supply they phone them first?

Re: Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire 11 years, 11 months ago #3

• Sax
  • Platinum Boarder
"but they allocate their supply posts to their NQTs so that the stats gathered by the Scottish Government look good"

Can anyone tell me what this indicates.?

Re: Secondary Supply in the Ayrshire Councils and East Renfrewshire 11 years, 11 months ago #4

• Concerned ERC Parent
I'm no expert but i'd say they mean that they are allocating the posts to Newly Qualified Teachers (NQT's) so that the numbers look good - i.e. NQT's are all getting posts.

But I thought the NQT probation year was still guaranteed? So the numbers would be accounted for anyway?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds